People often ask me, what is the most popular first dance song?
If you have already chosen a song for your first dance that’s great, but you are finding it difficult to choose this may help.
One way is for both of you to write down a list of songs that you feel have the right sentiment, say something about you as a couple or just a song you love.
Sit down with a bottle of wine and audition the songs together, if you have both written down the same song, you may have found your first dance music. If it is still proving to be difficult try listening to some classics. There are some beautiful songs that have such lovely words and orchestration that there won’t be a dry eye in the crowd as you sway across the floor.
If you get really stuck you can talk to your DJ who would of heard hundreds of first dance songs and can steer you away from songs that have been overplayed at weddings and toward some great first dance choices.
I myself love the classics that don’t get played a lot, they are beautiful and timeless.
Here are some examples of my favourites:
- Let there be love – Nat King Cole
- At Last – Etta James
- I only have eyes for you – The Flamingos
- It must be love – Labi Sifri
- It had to be you – Frank Sinatra
- The way you look tonight – Tony Bennett
- With you I’m born again – Billy Preston & Syreeta
- Tonight I celebrate my love – Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack
- You are the sunshine of my life – Stevie Wonder
- All of me – John Legend
Have fun choosing your first dance and remember as your DJ entertainment supplier, I am on hand with any advice or to help with ideas you may have with your first dance song choice.